Some mathematicians at 538 examined the original cast of the Monstars in the movie Space Jam to see if they could estimate the closest comparable players in today’s NBA. See who they chose for the new Monstars team!
Watch the video linked above. Answer each of the questions in a few complete sentences each.
- What does the acronym CARMELO stand for? Explain in your own words what the CARMELO projections are trying to accomplish.
- Look at each of the graphs that compare the original player with the new player from the modern NBA (pictured below). Which new cast member appears most similar to the original member they are replacing?
- Look at each of the graphs that compare the original player with the new player from the modern NBA (pictured below). Which new cast member appears most different to the original member they are replacing?
4. Fred VanVleet is 9 inches taller than Muggsy Bogues was in the original Space Jam movie. Explain how they can have the exact same rating on the “height” metric in their comparison graphs.
5. Pick one of the statistics listed in the comparison graphs that you aren’t sure of its meaning. Look it up in the basketball-reference glossary and explain what the statistic measures in your own words.